Sunday 22 September 2019

THE STORY OF LAMBERTO APOSTOL : THE SANDAKAN UNDERGROUND MOVEMENT


SEJARAH NORTH BORNEO SABAH 

SPECIAL EDITION

SECOND WORLD WAR SERIES

THE STORY OF LAMBERTO APOSTOL :
 THE SANDAKAN UNDERGROUND MOVEMENT

In 1999, Ms Doreen Hurst went to Sandakan for the dedication of the memorial. She met Anacleto Apostol who was the local architect for the memorial. She knew that his father a Filipino born Lamberto Apostol had been a member of the underground movement. She asked if his father had written anything about his wartime exploits. He said 'Yes', but the document had been given to an Australian and he did not know who that man was, and therefore, had no idea where the document was.

Many years later out of the blue, this documents arrived "The Recollection of Lamberto M Apostol During Japanese Occupation 1940-1945 by Lamberto M Apostol dated 1970" in the mail, sent by Frank Murray whose father had died on the death march route - bayoneted by the Japanese.

RECOLLECTION OF LAMBERTO M. APOSTOL DURING JAPANESE OCCUPATION OF SABAH 1940-1945

1. In 1941 as Forest Ranger and Agriculture Officer. I was forced to continue to work otherwise 6 months jail will be imposed if quit to work (Japanese Military Order). I did not like to work in Forestry because Forestry supplies timber for the war. I hate the war. I work as Agriculture Officer and was stationed in Mile 8 agriculture experimental station, at Sandakan to supervise the planting of Tapioca, Rice and other crop for the hungry population of Sandakan.

Mile 8 experimental garden was made the site for the prisoner of war. The area where the water buffalos were kept has been converted place for the P.O.W.. Barbed wire have been constructed around the place.

While as an Agriculture Officer in mile 8 , I could not help helping the P.O.W. who were treated badly by the Japanese soldiers.

2. Through to the information of Mr Jack Law in 1942 , I was caught by the Japanese and sued for helping the P.O.W. at Mile 8, I was then taken from my house which is near the office early in the morning. I was tied by rope and brought by lorry to Sandakan at Bukau Co. building at Leila Road for instruction. I was tortured from 4 pm to 4 am daily for about 2 months. Tying me on stick forced to kneel on sharp firewood bilits - slap and beat me until my face was swollen just to confess of made against the Japanese.

3. Various cases have been charged against me as follows :-

a) Radio receiver and transmitter parts given to P.O.W.

b) The Japs questioned me about the radio spare parts in my possession
my reason is that I was a radiotrician and many spare parts that I could not surrender all the Radio spare parts at the short notice by the Japs. Some parts in mile 8 and some in Sandakan. I gave my radio parts to P.O.W. to release me from having them.

Through my information that the P.O.W. requires radio valve, Mr JR Phillips requested Ng Ah Koi to give the valve. Johnny Funk also give valve. These men were investigated and tortured.
Mr Wong my Agriculture Assistant also testify about the Radio Part, I supplied the P.O.W.. He also was tortured

c) Supply of food to Australian P.O.W. as 6 bottles fresh cow milk daily chicken eggs and salts occasionally.

d) Letter of Mr Keith (Conservator of Forrest requesting help for the Australian P.O.W. - Mr Paddy Funk and Henry Chang were involved about the letter I received from Mr Keith my former Boss. These two gentlemen were investigated and tortured - feet tied and head plunge in a tub of water until almost exhausted in order to confess the fault. They were also threatened to be shot in the field, near the back yard of Bakau Co's house. I have seen them from room where i was detained.

e) Radio news report from the P.O.W. every Saturday brought by Police Sgt. at mile 8. I use to interpret for him the news for he does not know English. This report was also supplied to the internees at Berhala Camp. The Sgt. of police was tortured for this.

f) Assisted in the escape of some of the detention Australia Officers from Berhala. By arranging Filipino Kumpit (sailing boat) to bring away the Australian Officers. Mr Lagan was the mastermind of this and he was killed by the Japs.

g) Food supply to the Internees in Berhala - Salleh a local watch man brought my supply regularly. I was able to give Christmas cake to internees through my old Japanese pre war friend Go To Sang who at that time exchange of the food supply for the internees.

4. After over a month tortured in Sandakan Bakau Co's building we were transferred to local jail at Sim Sim detention. During detention my wife was able to give me $400 cash money concealed in the food provided me. Then from there we were sent to Kuching Sarawak by military boat. Some Australian P.O.W. and 20 other were included in the trip. The three brothers ( Johnny Funk, Paddy Funk and Alex Funk) Felix Azcona, Henry Chang and other Chinese Towkay were among them.

5. In Kuching we were placed in the old building in the Reservoir area and after few days of Court Marshal investigation individually sentence were finalised as follows :-

Faced Firing Squad

Capt. Mathews
Alex Funk
Felix Azcona
An Indian Sergeant (Jemader Ojagar Singh)

10 Years Jail

Lamberto Apostol
Other men were sentenced below 10 years jail as

Johnny Funk
Ng Ah Koi
Paddy Funk
Henry Chang
and some chinese Towkay also.

6. When Jesselton revolted against the occupying Japanese most of the Japanese Military men were ordered to fly to Jesselton to quench the revolt. We were then transferred to the local jail house fetching fire wood, planting vegetables etc. during this time the American bombing raid was continued daily.

The food in the jail was very poor, a plate of gruel rice - no salt and boiled kangkong (watercress) for meal. Smoking tobacco is only allowed outside sleeping room.

7. From Kuching Jail we were transferred to Bau jail via small boat passed Busoh a town near the river bank. We have done various work as transporting rice to Serian, plant tapioca in Panchor, placing earth in Sibu land aerodrome, constructing earth road in Kukong.

In Kukong Paddy Funk escaped away from the camp and when i heard the Jap surrendering I sent word to Paddy to return to safety. He did return.

8. From Kukong I was transferred to BAU jail - other jail companions stay behind because they were given some work. When all my co jail person were in after few days later we were released as free men (Japanese has surrendered)

9. I have to go with the Sandakan Chinese Towkay to Kuching by manpower boat provided by Kapitan China of Bau. Arrived in Kuching 4 am and i have to stay outside the shop while my companion Chinese Towkay went inside. Later in a day a local boy whom i helped in the jail gave my lodging place and we had fun. The next day I reported to the internees camp at mile 5 Kuching and my Boss Mr Keith accommodate me near his bed which is evacuated.

10. In the internee camp fair food was given. The Red Cross has given me clothing for my whole family. After few days I was transferred to join with my other companion in another building a few yards away. Here we enjoy good food provided by the Australian army. After staying in Kuching for about 2 months we were transferred to Labuan by the military seaplane.

11. In Labuan we boarded the (DUCK) lorry that goes in land and water efficiently and in camp the Australian army give us good accommodation and good food with free drinks - beer and soft drink and cinema show once a week. I was called to resume work as a forest ranger same pay. After over a month in Labuan we were taken by military boat for Sandakan including our surplus food. In the way at Balabak Island the boat developed trouble and we have to wait for another boat.

12. In Sandakan I have to resume duty as forest ranger with increase pay. I had to find a place for my family, most of the empty house were dead humans bodies were beheaded. Lucky I found a house without dead men. The Australian officer investigation our case for helping the Australian P.O.W. came and investigation done.

b) In my case the Australian officer after investigating gave me cash money and certificate of the help i made - attached Photostat copy and picture.

Verbally he told me that in case i want my children to study in Australia free education will be given by Australia.

c) I continue to work during the taking over of the British Crown and afterwards resign due to maximum pay limit. I join the private timber company with good pay and get experiences in modern timber logging. Now i am in a retired life - being 75 years old although healthy and strong yet.

L M Apostol
July, 1970
Kota Kinabalu

LEST WE FORGET

The civilians in Sandakan and the local constabulary have been secretly active, the two groups developed close links with Chinese, Malay and other native people who opposed the occupation. The story of Lamberto M Apostol and many more like him resound with the astonishing bravery and ingenuity of the Sandakan underground.

"Those who were not there probably can never fully comprehend the depth of pains, the grief of their families who until recent years knew little of what had happened to the love ones." Owen Campbell

"War is essentially cruel and brutal and in the execution of the principal object no activity which does not contribute to the achievement of that object can be entertained." C.H.Finley

Source :

1. Doreen Hurst : Sandakan 1942-1945 - Stories of the local people who heroically help the Australian POWs

Photos :

Credit to Anacleto E Apostol Jr

Edited by : Kumis Kumis

Special Thanks to Mr Mick Smith for the Doreen Hurst's Book and Mr Ryan Rowland

1 comment:

  1. Thank you all for sharing. "Lest We Forget". Your contribution is very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete